Following overwhelming response to the launch of Central Scotland’s first rum distillery, Matugga Distillers is launching a £30K crowdfunding campaign.
Since the opening of the distillery in October, husband and wife team – Paul and Jacine Rutasikwa – have been inundated with requests to invest; with interest coming from as far away as Japan.
Now the rum firm is responding to spirits fanatics; inviting them to back the campaign in return for a slice of Scotland’s rum history in the making.
As part of the programme, rum lovers will own one of just 1,000 limited edition bottles of the distillery’s new addition to the award-winning Matugga Rum range – Mavuno 2018.
Twelve rum connoisseurs will also be invited to lay down their own cask filled with 2018 new make rum; which will be aged for three years in the distiller’s bonded warehouse in Livingston.
Aiming to secure at least £30K, the funding will support Matugga Distillers’ ambitious expansion plans and allow the firm to accelerate production following the surge in demand for their golden and spiced rums ‘crafted with African soul’.
The funding will be split between investment in additional equipment in order to increase spirits production and taking the distillery’s growing rum portfolio to new markets.
Master Distiller, Paul Rutasikwa, said:
“We have been overwhelmed and humbled by the response to the opening of our new distillery; particularly the volume of requests to invest and enquiries about laying down rum casks.
“This is clearly testament to a growing global appreciation of artisanal spirits and a culture of consumers backing start-up drinks firms that have a unique story to tell.
“Participants in our crowdfunder will have the opportunity to own a part of Scotland’s rum history while helping to drive forward our exciting plans for the distillery and the creation of new jobs.”
(Caption: Master Distiller, Paul Rutasikwa and CEO, Jacine Rutasikwa, of Matugga Distillers, at their new rum distillery in Central Scotland)
- £50 pledge: one of 1,000 bottles of Mavuno 2018
- £80 pledge: one of 1,000 bottles of Mavuno 2018 and glass set
- £100 pledge: one of 1,000 bottles of Mavuno 2018, glass set & indulgent rum cake made with Matugga Rum and fragrant spices
- £130 pledge: one of 1,000 bottles of Mavuno 2018 alongside one 70cl bottle of Matugga Golden Rum and one 70cl bottle of Matugga Spiced Rum
- £250 pledge: A case of six 70cl Matugga rums: 2 x Matugga Golden Rums, 2 x Matugga Spiced Rums and 2 x Mavuno 2018
- £3,000 pledge: one 225-litre cask of Matugga rum finished in a choice of bourbon cask or Cognac cask. Aged for three years in Matugga’s bonded warehouse in Central Scotland.
To take part in the crowdfunding campaign, visit: www.crowdfunder.co.uk/matuggarum. The 1,000 bottles will be ready by the end of January 2019.